Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

Beware Glenn Hotel - ATL & Racism



While "inspire" is the theme of a trendy group of these boutique hotels, my stay was less than inspirational. Buyer beware at this hotel site, which caters more to outside patrons than its own guests. On the surface, it appears to be open to diversity. Being Hotlanta, most of its clientele are African American professional. I found the staff rude and obnoxious, especially its glorified bouncer, Shaun, who exclaimedthat he "runs The Roof." The hotel's literature states that this venue is available by reservation. However, when inquiring, I was sent helter skelter from the lobbydesk to the adjoining restaurant's reservation desk. Finally, I was told that guests could gain access without reservation. Yet I was accused of "sneaking up." As an older African American adult, I felt threatened by the Aryan attitude and Gestapo tactics of Shaun. He really needs to aspire to achievepower and authority that does not entail being rudeand condescending about an amenity that is highly touted. I literally was barred from ever going there because I questioned his heavy handed approach to a "little ol' lady."In addition, over a two night stay, every other trip to my room resulted in my keycard being invalid and having to trudge back to the front desk. Check out also was a nightmare. It is as though once you've paid in advance there's no need for common courtesy. I spoke to an individual--coordinating Usher's little brother's birthday, who just paid $25,000 for a party there and received far less than bargained for. I've seen hotels of this ilk come and go. Moreover, my experience seems in line with that of African American women passengers being detained disproportionately by Atlanta's custom officers. I think the Aryan nation is not only alive but well dispersed throughout Atlanta to remind African Americans of our marginality.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?